Voices For Hope
Our Voices For Hope project focuses on mental health and wellness to assist our communities. We believe that effective mental health care is the major factor in reducing the number of suicides in our communities and we are also educating the public on mental health issues to reduce stigmas.
Depression & Bipolar Disorder
Directories & Services
- Find a free, anonymous depression screening site in your area.
- For more information on depression and bipolar disorder, recovery tools and over 1000 support groups nationwide, the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance has a site that may be of interest.
- Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
Commissioned by Health and Human Services Secretary Donna E. Shalala, Surgeon General David Satcher, M.D., released this five-hundred page document on Dec. 13, 1999. It provides an up-to-date review of scientific advances in the study of mental health and mental illness. Topics include depression, prevention, anxiety disorders, health insurance coverage and youth suicide. The report proposes actions to improve the quality of mental health in the nation, including further research, raising public awareness of effective treatment and ensuring the supply of mental health services, providers and state-of-the-art treatments.
- If you are looking for articles on various topics concerning suicide, please contact the Centre for Suicide Education (403-245-3900). SIEC is a special library and resource center providing article packages on specific topics on suicide and suicidal behavior.
Directories & Services
- The Surgeon General's National Strategy for Suicide Prevention website.
- The Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS) Knowledge Exchange Network(KEN) provides information about mental health via a toll-free telephone number (1-800-789-2647), their website and more than 200 publications. CMHS developed KEN for users of mental health services and their families, the general public, policy makers, providers, and the media. KEN staff quickly direct callers to federal, state and local organizations dedicated to treating and preventing mental illness. KEN also has information on Federal grants, conferences, and other events. The Center for Mental Health Services is a component of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- The HealthLinks website is a free world-wide directory -- portal service for healthcare professionals and consumers to assist in locating medical and healthcare information, resources, services and practitioners on the web.